Wayleave & Utility Compensation

Wayleave & Other Utility Agreements and Compensation

A Wayleave is an annually renewed right of use for apparatus over or under private land for which payment is made. For example, electricity supply companies may put poles on your land or cabling underground and in return they will give you rent.

An easement is a permanent right a person, company or statutory body has over land they do not own themselves. For example, a water company may put a pipeline through your land and in return they may pay a single lump payment for this right. In some circumstances the easement may already exist when you purchase the land, in which case often no payment is made.

If you believe you are entitled to receive an annual wayleave payment, we are able to check with the company to see if a wayleave agreement exists. If it does, you may be able to claim up to 6 years’ worth of backdated annual payments in one lump sum, and then continue to receive an annual payment.

If a new service is being installed across your land, whether it be a new or replacement water main or electricity poles, in addition to the wayleave or easement payment, Landowners or occupiers will receive compensation for damage and disturbance to the surrounding land as a result of installing the equipment. For example, when installing a new water main, if the surrounding land is severely poached or requires re-seeding, this cost can be reclaimed. Also the cost of employing a land agent is often re-claimable.

For further information regarding our landlord and tenant advice, please contact Davis Meade Property Consultants Ltd on 01691 659658 (Oswestry Office in England) or 01492 510360 (Colwyn Bay Office in Wales)

PLEASE NOTE:  Due to the level of payments rates provided by Electrical Distribution Operators for single poles and individual basic apparatus, we advise  property owners to contact their operator directly to discuss backdated or future Wayleave payments. To identify the relevant operator please visit the energy networks association website at (Find your energy supplier - Energy Networks Association (ENA))

Click here for our Guidance Note


Contact Us

Latest News

Agricultural Innovation Opportunity

In October 2021, Defra will laun…

Cross Compliance Key Dates and Hedge Cutting Derogation - please see 'Information Tab' for guidance

TESTIMONIALS - Please click here to view all testimonials

Website by InSynch

Oswestry Office, 103 Beatrice Street, Oswestry, Shropshire. SY11 1HL
01691 659658

Colwyn Bay Office, Plas Eirias Business Centre, Abergele Road, Colwyn Bay, Conwy. LL29 8BF
01492 510360

Property Ombudsman